The Bees Knees



I am somewhat chuffed today - I saved a bee's life!


 This morning I found a bee on the edge of the bath in the bathroom (well yes, OK, where else would you have a bath?) 

The landing - bathroom is to the left
I slipped a piece of paper under the bee and put it out on the windowsill - it looked pretty lifeless though.
Went to get my slippers and dressing gown from the bedroom


.... bee was still there, very still on the sill, so I assued it was dead. I decided to take it into the garden so I could put the little corpse among the flowers - gave it a poke to push it off the card - and it feebly buzzed - it was still alive!

Ok, think. What do to.

I remembered one of the questions and answers on the popular TV show QI hosted by that lovely man,  Stephen Fry :
"What do you do to revive a poorly bee?"
Answer: give it some honey.


So I ran for the honey, put a tiny bit on a spoon & spread it in front of the bee - and the dear little creature started feeding! I dribbled a couple of drops of water near it as well and set the cardboard down in the middle of the lavender bush - and a minute later - the bee spread her wings and flew away!

I know, I'm a ninny. It is probably very daft and completely over the top with emotion but I stood there in my beautiful garden at 9 o'clock in the morning, still in my nightie & dressing gown, and had a little cry.






Completely unrelated - but this is my first attempt at a corn dolly. Well, a hay dolly. 
My own good luck charm hanging inside the front door - made from our first cut of hay.


2 comments:

  1. Well done! That's just what I do, when I see a bee in need. It's just a way to say 'thank you' to those little hard workers, who provide us with delicious honey.
    Have a great day!
    Alex

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment your interest is very much appreciated! It will be published as soon as possible - depending on whether I am at my computer or walking up the lane, or being chased by the goose or helping mend fences after the pony has broken through YET AGAIN.... :-)
Helen