U is For... and V is for....

TWO POSTS TODAY as I was at the Wrexham Book Festival
(scroll down for V.....)

...UMBERLEIGH STATION
I took part in the 
2015 A-Z April Blog Challenge 
Follow me every day (except Sundays) 
throughout April for the 

next letter in the alphabet!


The train from Exeter to Barnstaple is a single track, once an hour quirky line called the Tarka Line.
I used to travel on this line when visiting my Editor who lives in Devon ....
little did I know that I would eventually be living in a house that overlooked a small portion of this line near Umberleigh!


 The station is unmanned....



 often there's no one else there....


But how many stations do you get a view like this while waiting?


 and when the train does come....


you have to put your hand out to stop it!
Yep, it's a request stop!



Exeter-Bound
Just over the road is the River Taw and Umberleigh Bridge





.... off to Barnstaple... bye bye!





...VILLAGE SHOP





Here in Chittlehamholt in Devon we have a Community Village Shop. 
It is entirely run by volunteers, was built with grants and donations.
Almost at the shop's second birthday, it is rapidly becoming the heart of the village.


  • Need a quick essential? 
  • (In our case usually sugar, milk or tomato sauce)
  • Forgotten to buy that birthday card?
  • Want locally sourced produce?
  • Fresh veg?
  • Devon Butter or Cream?
  • well, you know where to come!

Or what about a break while out on a sunny-day walk?
Pop in for an ice-cream or a cup of tea.
Raining? 
How about a hot chocolate or coffee?


All guaranteed to be served with a smile 
and a chance to have a chat and a laugh.

I don't help out in the shop (my eyesight isn't good enough to see the labels and use the till) BUT I run the Village Shop Blog Instead!



To me the Village Shop is what a country village is all about - so if ever you are visiting North Devon, do come to Chittlehamholt and call in at our shop!


all sorts if interesting things about our Village
photos, newsletter, a bit of history...


 our Village Newsletter
    

Finally a BIG thank you to everyone in the Village who, 
one way or another, keep the shop going! 




Website: www.helenhollick.net

If you have read a book and enjoyed it please leave a comment on Amazon (UK, US & Canada) Four or five star comments can help an author by boosting the Amazon Ranking List
I especially need more comments for my books please! Thank you


Blog: www.ofhistoryandkings.blogspot.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/HelenHollickAuthor
Twitter: @HelenHollick



Want to catch up on my other A-Z posts
that you might have missed...
Go to the left-hand side bar for a full list

Thank you for following!
                                      


8 comments:

  1. That village shop looks like a fun place to sit for a while.

    John Holton
    Blogging from A to Z 2015 Cohost
    The Sound of One Hand Typing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that unmanned railway station. Reminds me of the one that was on the dismantled railway (before my time) not far from my grandmother's house. There was a flag that you waved to get the train to stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waving flags sounds a bit like 'red flannelled petticoats' in the Railway Children! :-)

      Delete
  3. The village shop looks so inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing these lovely pictures. An unmanned station is something special. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure to share - and yes I do find the station exciting (not least because you always wonder if the train will come or not!)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment your interest is very much appreciated! It will be published as soon as possible - depending on whether I am at my computer or walking up the lane, or being chased by the goose or helping mend fences after the pony has broken through YET AGAIN.... :-)
Helen